Monday, May 07, 2007

Labora in Fide

They had a talk on the radio this morning about high school slogan's.
 
I could not for the life of me remember what mine was, quite shocking seeing as though I wore the school badge every day of my school life. On my shirt and blazer...mmm, not to mention the fact that it stared me in the face every day, due to the fact that everybody else wore it...
 
Just goes to show how interested I was in my surroundings in high school. (I think most people blocked out their high school careers, or is that just the normal people out there that do that?)
 
Anyhoo, luckily my old high school have a website...and I found the slogan, Labora In Fide, and it means "education for life"
 
Here's a weird fact I found on the website under the "history" slot

 The first school was opened in Port Shepstone in 1883 with 17 scholars. Only one of these pupils could read after 18 months’ schooling.

Mmm, I only realize now that I was actually privelaged?

The level of education HAS improved! Imagine after a year and a half of teaching HIGH SCHOOL pupils, the only thing they learnt was to read?And only ONE out of 17 acquired this skill? 

On the other hand, I had no problem remembering my Afrikaans Primary School slogan:

VOLHARDING...

(perserverance)

 

No comments: