Monday, June 04, 2007

Machiel Greyling

Machiel and I sat next to each other in Standard Five, Mr Jackson's class.
 
When I first met him, I did not like him, we were enemies. I told him quite clearly where his side of the desk was, and if he crossed the line, there would be ROUBLE. Poor guy, he probably regretted the day he ended up next to me.
 
But that soon changed, and by the end of the year, the two of us were inseperable. We even thought about conversations we would have with one another, after school, for when we would see one another again. And we usually thought of the same stuff, like which shampoo the other one used. (I know it sounds silly, but hey, it is the little things in life)
 
I called him "SNOLBOL" 
 
And when he moved onto the high school in Pietermaritzburg and I stayed in Shepppie, we wrote letters to one another. I still have dozens of letters that he wrote to me, stored away safely. I need to go fetch those letters...they are at my mom's house..any offers to go fetch it on my behalf? Michelle? Hee hee, I won't do that to you...
 
Last time I saw him, he was at Umtentweni beach, and he looked a little sad. But that was the last time I would ever had gotten to see him. He was in an accident a while ago. My friend, you were so special, and I will always carry you in my heart.
 
Two of my best friends passed away during this last month...and it once again made me realise that life is too short not to finish that painting. Life is too short to hold yourself back. Life is too short to ignore the call of your destiny. Life is too short to neglect the important people in your life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: