Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The basics

Some of you have asked me to blog tips on how to survive living on your own. Moving out of the house...you know...flying the coop..Cutting the apron strings.

 

Well, if I look at what I was like three years ago, I must admit I have come a long way, and thus I think I may have a few pearls of wisdom to pass along.

 

Three years ago, San could not put together a proper meal. Yes, I know I was one of the top people in Home Economics, but it did not help me. The mental block I had put in about High School and all the activities that went along with it, had blocked out all my recipes too.

 

My staple food was pasta, pasta, pasta! And I made the worst food combinations. This resulted in me turning to take away's most of the time.

 

A good food tip is to always have a wide variety of spices and sauces. They can do wonders for a meal (even the humble Maggie 2 minute noodles can turn gourmet)

 

THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING I LEARNT?

 

You know those paranoid people who always double and triple check whether they left the stove on?

They are not paranoid! They are geniuses, very well disguised geniuses! But geniuses all the same.

 

You know what happens when you leave the stove on?

 

You will find your flat mate at home, in front of a gas stove, boiling water for her guests. And all the lights are out. You would be a little surprised as to why she has decided to rough it, because this is the 21st century after all.

Then it all dawns on you, as your flat mate huffs and puffs, that:

 

IF YOU  LEAVE THE STOVE ON ALL DAY, THE ELECTRICTY BLOWS!

 

Another good piece of advice?

Change the dustbin at LEAST twice  a week, you can not be lazy about this. Otherwise, interesting things happen in there.

 

The first year or two or four, is going to be tough budget wise. Therefore you won't always have the exact ingredients the recipe calls for. The next logical step would be to substitute. But only substitute food items from the same food family (or food group) For example, the recipe calls for Cottage cheese, but you only have Gouda cheese. It is perfectly safe to substitute Gouda cheese with the Cottage cheese.

 

Some things you can't substitute, even if they are from the same 'family'. Substituting toilet paper for tissue paper for example, is a no-no. Your nose will thank you later for it. Yes, you will get sick some time or the other, and if you are single, you are going to be sick ON YOUR OWN. Nobody will be there to fluff the pillows or pamper you. I think this is the lowest point of being single and out of the house. That first flu on your own. But, if you have survived it, you can survive anything.

 

It is important to build up a supply of medicines. Nothing major, here is a rough guideline of what to have:

-Headache pills

-Disinfectant

-Plasters

-A bandage roll

-A good allergy and burns cream

-Allergy pills

-IMMODIUM

 

I have a little saying when it comes to Imodium: "If you neglect it, you WILL regret it!"

 

Don't believe me?

 

Ask the San of 2004 as she is about to knock on a strangers door to beg of their help (and relief) from a compromising situation.

 

It aint pretty.

 

Another important thing to note is regarding older flats and keys. When that key gets a little stuck the first time. Go out and buy Q20 IMMEDIATELY. Or else you may find yourself in the situation where you need to ask some random little boy for cooking oil or any other kind of oil that he can get his hands on. And this is South Africa, people. So his first reaction to you may also be to say: 'I don't have much...er..My bigger brother is here!"

Just ask San of 2004 (Man, that was a bad year for me)

 

And the best (or worse) for those fresh out of High School? Specifically blondes?


Deciding that this is the chance! The chance to finally try going red...strawberry daiquiri to be exact. Now, something we all learnt is that red and white make PINK. So my hairdo eventually evolved into a light pink mess. And from there on, I rather drank Strawberry Daiquiri’s, instead of trying to become one.

 

Items you will never have enough of:

Clothes pegs,  Tupperware containers, Plastic bags and drinking glasses.

 

Buying cheaper things (especially when it comes to household items and appliances) is never smarter. Except when it comes to Clothes pegs,  Tupperware containers, Plastic bags and drinking glasses.

 

Well, those are the basics. And remember: always get the basics right!

 

No comments: